Re: Floating window #theory #hasImages #alignment

Bob Aldridge

What causes items crossing the top or bottom borders to be seen as window violations is that items in violation of the window get occluded (i.e. cut off or covered by the substance of the frame) when they should remain visible because they are closer than the imaginary frame.

BUT because there are no depth clues in the purely horizontal parts of the frame we have no information about the shape of the frame. It could be bowed inwards towards us, so that person standing outside the window is quite naturally cut off even though they are closer that the left and right vertical edges of the frame. So window violations are not so disturbing at the top or bottom.

Now, if we make it absolutely clear tat the frame is flat - by adding captions, for instance - the violation becomes all too apparent!

There have been a number of artists that have brought objects in violation of the window in through the window and continued the objects over the frame so the object is not occluded by the frame. And now there is no window violation!

Bob Aldridge

On 21/06/2020 13:02, Antonio F.G. via groups.io wrote:
On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 11:37 AM, Stereopix Net wrote:
Even objects that were close to or even touching the top or bottom edges would not cause a violation unless they also crossed the left or right edge, in which case it would be a left or right edge violation, not top or bottom.   It would not be possible to have a top edge or bottom edge window violation unless the images were vertically misaligned (out-of-register in the vertical direction such that one eye-view image was either higher or lower than the other).

This opposition is clearly a terminology problem concerning what means a window violation (WV).

If you consider that the WV is the rivalry caused by a part of the content in front that should be displayed outside of the medium for the other eye (of course you can view this with an other viewpoint), then there cannot be WV on top/bottom.
It looks like it is your definition because of the exception you gave for the tome/bottom edge wrongly aligned that create rivalries.
To contribute to this discussion of the WV I have just shot two stereo pairs with a tree branch protruding inside the window.
In one case the branch does not interfere with any border, so there is clearly no WV.
In the other case the same branch is cropped by the upper border, and I invite you to consider whether is there WV or not. IMO there is no WV technically, but... for some reason the effect is not pleasant.

NO WV: https://stereopix.net/photo:9ON3DHJQNV/
WV arguable: https://stereopix.net/photo:9ON3DOLGU0/

Regards
   Antonio