From: main@Photo-3d.groups.io <main@Photo-3d.groups.io> On Behalf Of Bill
Costa
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2020 11:23 AM
To: 3D Photography <main@Photo-3d.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Photo-3d] SView a universal display application

It assumes JPS has the image stored cross view, while SPM assumes
parallel storage.  There is, to my knowledge, no standard for JPS,
Here is the full description of the JPS format...

http://paulbourke.net/stereographics/stereoimage/spec.pdf

There is metadata support for alternate layouts including interleaved, SBS,
over/under, anaglyph, etc. plus field order.
But the specification says the default is SBS, full height, right field
first. I read that as cross-eyed.

I am unaware of any application that either creates or reads this JPS
specific meta data. It looks like a well thought out standard, but as far
as I can tell it appears to have been pretty much ignored by industry. My
LG Thrill phone does indeed do parallel SBS. Does it set the 'left field
first' bit in the JPS metadata? Beats me.

It's too bad that within this community we cannot claim JPS as
*the* preferred 3D still image format. We could not even come to a
consensus, in this forum, if JPS files should all be LR or RL.
I tried. So is it any wonder the sorry state of any sort of general
adoption of stereographic imaging?